Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Laskarina Bouboulina, the Lady of the Revolution
Massacres, genocide, slavery, patriarchy, corruption were all part of the Ottoman system, as were, military prowess, great administrative structures, new medicine, surgery, astronomy, engineering, poetry ... bankers could be Christian or Jews, Greeks ...
- Urban Folk Art Salon
Music, prose, poetry and comedy skits. Featuring Brian Gladstone, Merle Amodeo, Ariel Balevi, Isaak Bonk, Ann Marie Boudrea, Sharon A. Crawford, Shane Joseph, and Mary Milne. Hosted by poet/violinist Tom Gannon Hamilton.
- â€˜Dead Poets Societyâ€™ Theater Review: Jason Sudeikis Goes Back to School, But Why Should We?
The big controversy in â€œSocietyâ€ is that Keating lures the boys into creating a secret society where they read poetry aloud to each other ... John Doyle directs in a style that can best be described as gothic minimalism.
- Creative Writing's JC Todd Receives Rita Dove Poetry Prize - Bryn Mawr Now
Creative Writing's JC Todd Receives Rita Dove Poetry PrizeBryn Mawr NowFormerly a contributing editor for The Drunken Boat, she edited and compiled translation features on contemporary poetry from Latvia and Lithuania. At Bryn Mawr, she has taught Introduction to Creative Writing, Poetry I & II, Emily Balch Seminars, and ...Review: In Rita Dove's Verse, Loss, Despair and Bedrock PleasuresNew York Timesall 2 news articles »
- Lucia Blinn captures history in poems to late husband
and now Iâ€™m writing for myself, which is just a terrific blessing. But sharing my work is a huge part of it as well.â€ Blinn didnâ€™t plan to be a poet. Yes, she had written poems for other people for special occasions, but it wasnâ€™t until she ...
- Students in Poetry Competition Draw Inspiration from Dylan
Six Riverside Junior Senior High School students competed Wednesday for the right to represent their school in the "Poetry Out Loud: National Recitation Contest". It's not easy. They had to memorize pre-20th century poems. Freshman participant Elizabeth ...
- Market Researching My Desire
From the helm of his bed, I kept writing poems obsessed with Death of a Salesman. I was the female character Miller might have written out of the play, I was a character in search of an author, a playwright, a love to bring me back from the never written ...
- Poet Morgan Parker on Why BeyoncÃ© Is a Metaphor for Every Black Woman
The Cut spoke with Parker about pop culture, the complexities of black femininity, and why sheâ€™s determined to create poetry that reflects her own experience. Why did you decide to use BeyoncÃ© as a metaphor? Tell me a little bit about what she means to you.
- MG Romance Poetry Winners - charlestonchronicle.net
MG Romance Poetry Winnerscharlestonchronicle.netMagnolia is America's last large-scale romantic-style garden. The contest was open to poems that emulate the style of romance poets William Wordsworth, Ashley Tennyson and Percy Bysshe Shelley. A Wordsworth quote inscribed on a small sign at ...
- Laid to rest in a coffin adorned with the faces of his soap heroes: Coronation Street stars turn out for the funeral of superfan killed in the Manchester suicide bombing
He was inspirational and this, in turn ... Martyn's step father Stuart Murray read out a poem dedicated to all 22 bomb victims, written by Paul Quirk. He then said: 'Martyn was really the complete opposite of what happened on that awful day. '
- Back Mountain students compete in poetry reading contest on WVIA-TV
Some can be poets and not even know it, but Maggie Gilbertson and Olivia Romano are well-aware of their talents.Gilbertson, 16, and Romano, 18, both had the chance to participate in in the 2015 Poetry Out Loud Regional Competition in February.
- Slam poetry makes a loud, local comeback
Ask Shayna "Simba" Castano where she got her "Lion King" nickname and she'll shrug. It's just something that stuck, she explains, possibly because of her hair, a thick, black mane.
- BeyoncÃ©â€™s Mom Explains The Meaning Of Baby Rumi's Name & It'll Inspire You To Read Poetry
Rumi and Sir's grandma used her own Instagram post to explain the inspiration behind Rumi's name. "This is poetry by the 13th century poet "Rumi" it's not only beautiful but logical ï¸ love number three ï¸," Lawson captioned the post. "Sometimes we ...
- The James Laughlin Award: Mary Hickman and â€œRayfishâ€
poems informed by Hickmanâ€™s childhood and young adulthood in China and Taiwan. One, â€œBeijing,â€ is an imagining of the experience of the Cultural Revolution, which officially ended the year after she was born. The daughter of Christian missionaries ...
- Kacey Musgraves, Ruston Kelly Share Song From Johnny Cash Poetry Album [WATCH]
It hasnâ€™t officially been announced yet, but an album of Johnny Cashâ€˜s poetry, set to music and sung by well-known artists, is in the works. On Sunday night (July 9), during an intimate concert, Kacey Musgraves and her fiance, Ruston Kelly, shared ...