Poetry news via Google, MSN, and Yahoo!
- Is Art Futile in a Very Political World
Thanks, Cleo Wade. Today was the first inauguration since JFK's that did not feature a poet or poetry. And as my friend @alexfrankelnyc wrote me this morning, maybe it is "sadly the one that needed it the most" Today, I am reminded of one of my favorite ...
- Victims In Deadly Portland Hate Speech Attack Identified, Suspect Charged With Murder
Portland Police say Christian is charged with two counts of aggravated murder ... In 2013 he won the Literary Arts poetry slam competition â€œVerselandia.â€ Along with the other finalists, he performed and reflected on his poetry on OPBâ€™s Think Out ...
- Arabic-to-Spanish Translators: Poetry-translation Contest Open Through July 31
Arabic-Spanish translator Shadi Rohana is judging the Arabic portion of a rotating translation contest: The contest was begun by a Mexico-based group, with each choosing a poem from the language they work in, presents it, and then solicits submissions.
- Local books: Thoughtful essays by Ian Frazier; alternative Akron in fantasy novel; events and signings - Akron Beacon Journal
Akron Beacon JournalLocal books: Thoughtful essays by Ian Frazier; alternative Akron in fantasy novel; events and signingsAkron Beacon JournalAkron-Summit County Public Library (Maple Valley branch, 1187 Copley Road, Akron) â€” Tony Gamblin reads from and signs his book of poetry Lyrics and Verses, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Barnes & Noble (198 Crocker Park Blvd., Westlake) â€” Lorain native ...and more »
- Caged gangster Brian Rattigan pens soppy poems in desperate bid to rekindle romance with old flame
CAGED heroin dealer Brian â€˜King Rattâ€™ Rattigan is still pining for former moll Natasha McEnroe. The yob, who successfully appealed his conviction for the 2001 murder of Declan Gavin on Tuesday, has sent three letters from his cell to his old flame this ...
- Creative & Funny Poetry for Kids
v=t77QbEh0NEM Most poetry books are written by adults, but this one is written by a kid (Gloson), which makes it extraordinary! It is written from child's perspective. Reading these funny poems is like eating potato chips - you won't want to stop till you ...
- Kansans Who Write About Their Love Of Poetry Could End Up Starring In A Film
"I really believe that poetry unites and politics divides," Zadrzynska says. "When the program started in Poland, it was sponsored by a Belgian foundation. The whole idea was to integrate new European countries, and the poem was treated as an instrument of ...
- Ainâ€™t I A Woman?: Collin College celebrate black history month with poetry performance
For more information, contact Cbrooks@collin.edu. In celebration of African American History Month, Collin College will host the live theatrical and musical performance, â€œAinâ€™t I a Woman?,â€ from 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m., Feb. 21 at the collegeâ€™s ...
- Book review: The Eighth â€“ Stephanie M. Wytovich
Itâ€™s the first time Iâ€™ve read anything by Stephanie M. Wytovich. I am well aware of her poetry work. It is much-lauded by people I respect within the genre and although Iâ€™m not a poetry reader per se I think it might be time that I give it a go ...
- Free Things to Do in Texas This Weekend: Dec. 8-10
Admission is free, but $10 donations are suggested at the door. For a uniquely cultural experience, check out this performance in which the story of Christmas is told entirely in German, using scripture, poetry, prayers, choral singing, and instrumental music.
- Pablo Neruda: Poetry Lost + Found
It's easy, with Kicktraq Mini. Here are a few quick snippits of code you can use to embed your personalized widget on your website, in your blog, and even on your favorite forum.
- â€˜Jiski zubaan Urdu ki tarahâ€™: Bollywoodâ€™s role in reviving Urdu
The success of this song inspired many other music directors and film makers to transform Urdu poetry into foot tapping dance numbers. Another heavily Urdu-peppered song which turned out to be a huge hit was â€˜Kajra re kajra reâ€™ from the movie Bunty Aur ...
- A Trumped-Up Intermingling Of Science And Religious Curiosity...Perhaps - Poem by James B. Earley
Picture an incongruous personal life-style, demonstratively antithetical to Church dogma, yet commanding passionate, wide-spread support of staunch Christian Conservatives; would that paradoxical fact provide rhetorical pause to a scientific case for atheism?
- Phoenix Teen Who Was Born Without a Jaw and Has Never Spoken Finds His Voice: â€˜Iâ€™m Helping Peopleâ€™
Isaiah developed a love for rap and hip-hop music when he was 15. â€œI connect with rap â€” I enjoy the energy of it,â€ he tells PEOPLE through email. â€œAnd Iâ€™ve always loved writing lyrics and quotes and putting down what bothers me into poems.
- THE BRAZOS FORMATION - Sci Fi, query letter
It won first place for unpublished science fiction in the 2016 Florida Writer's Association Royal Palm Literary Awards. My short story, Octavia, appears in SOMEWHERE SOUTH OF REASON an anthology of speculative fiction and poetry.